Interesting People mailing list archives

more on I WILL STOP THIS THREAD AND LEAVE IT TO OTHER COMM IF Stone, sbaker

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:15:24 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "sbaker () steptoe com" <sbaker () steptoe com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:07:33 -0500
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () steptoe com>
Subject: RE: [IP] IF Stone, sbaker

Oh, give me a break.  Instead of "refreshing our understanding of fallacious
argument forms," why doesn't Ms. Mitchell just fire up Google and A9?  If
she do, she'd find plenty of credible sources, including the VENONA decrypts
and allegations by KGB Gen. Kalugin:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0895262258/103-0903771-6271002
http://intellit.muskingum.edu/russia_folder/pcw_era/sect_16a.htm
http://archives.cjr.org/year/92/6/stone.asp

(I'm leaving out Ann Coulter's book and Bob Novak's column, since some may
find those sources, uh, unpersuasive.)

There's plenty of debate about Stone, of course, as the 50's Left fights to
preserve the conventional wisdom about McCarthyism:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0813520088/103-0903771-6271002
?v=glance
http://aggressive-voice.com/zz568.html

Unless you have a taste for endless wrangling over what it takes to
constitute "proof," this debate isn't likely to end soon.  Which is why I
called the Soviet agent claims "credible allegations," rather than "the
truth," which in any event seems only to be revealed to Ms. Mitchell.

Stewart Baker