Interesting People mailing list archives

increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be next?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:31:51 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:01:50 -0800
To: "<Dave Farber:;>"
Subject: increasing idiocy in TSA  <sigh> (will fingernails be next?)

http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-digital/24244/travel-warning-TSA
-took-my-allen-wrenches

travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches 18 Dec 2004 15:10
  About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
Denver airport.  I was carrying a small photo backpack
with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.

I've carried these for a couple of years without a
problem.  I was flagged for carrying a potential
weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
taking it all apart to find the wrenches.

In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
"New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
carry-on.  A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
these wrenches.

I pointed out how much smaller and
less effective small allen wrenches were, than keys
or nail clippers (which are allowed).  His answer was
that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
allen wrenches were banned.

------ End of Forwarded Message