Interesting People mailing list archives

Customer Service / Consumer issues

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:40:28 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: The Big Picture <thebigpicture () optonline net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:27:03 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Customer Service / Consumer issues

Hey Dave,

My DOA G5 iMac  -- the one that KinkosFedEx wouldn't issue a receipt
for -- was the start of an unlucky streak.  I was 1 for 5 on my holiday
purchases (iBook was fine -- 1) wireless router was DOA hardware
problem; 40G iPod was missing the inscription; Rebates on cell phones 8
months late; Wireless Bluetooth keyboard couldn't find the PC).

All this made me curious: Are these experiences atypical, or is
something else happening here?

The discussion re: Cingular / Sprint customer service is exactly what I
have been reviewing and gathering info on. So I have a favor to ask of
IPers:

Please tell me:  What sort of experiences have you had - both good and
bad - with newly purchased goods or services? Not somethign you bought
from Dell 2 years ago, but more recent (6 months or less).  I want to
hear from you about all your consumer purchases -- not exclusively Tech.

If you have a beef -- or a particularly good experience -- Send me an
email <mailto:thebigpicture () optonline net?SUBJECT=Consumer Purchases>
with "Consumer Purchases" as the subject.

So far, I've gotten ~150 emails from RealMoney.com subscribers, and its
been eye-opening reading. I am construing some rather interesting
patterns; My findings will be published on TheStreet.com early next
week. I'll make it available to IP.

I also plan on posting all of the complaints/compliments on line, sans
addresses and identity (i.e. XYZ Co sux from Dave in PA). As always,
email addresses are never harvested, and all names will remain
confidential. (If you do not want your email posted, specify that).

So far, everything I've learned is quite fascinating, but I'd like a
broader audience (i.e., less investing focused)  to draw from.

Cheers,

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group
britholtz () maximgrp com
(212) 895-3614
The Big Picture:  A blog of capital markets, geopolitics, with a dash
of film and music!
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/

------ End of Forwarded Message