Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Debate on Downloading, P2P, and the Music Industry

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:02:37 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:57:50 +0900
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: <ritholtz () optonline net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Debate on Downloading, P2P, and the Music Industry

Dave,

For what it's worth, an article in yesterday's UK
Guardian suggested that EMI's problems were with
one of its leading artists, Coldplay:

"Yet the story behind EMI's announcement [profit
forecast down by 30m pounds] was all the more
puzzling. There were no signs of a wider malaise,
no indications that internet downloading - the
threat that induces cold sweats in industry
executives - was exacting a price.

The explanation was much more simple, and
traditional: over the weekend, executives had
been told by Coldplay that the top-selling band's
third album would not be ready for release until
after EMI's financial year ended in March. To
compound the problem, the next release from
Gorillaz, the cartoon-inspired act founded by
former Blur star Damon Albarn, will also be later
than expected."

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1408008,00.html>

Think I perhaps agree with BR though. Ashamed to
admit but I'm a consumer, a sucker for marketing
and hype. All that marketing's now global. Here
in Tokyo I know --for example-- that Desperate
Housewives is a wonderful TV show (really!) If
ABC would let me buy access to it now, I would.
I know that Friends has finished, but some of you
still watch Joey. I know a lot about many of the
movies released over the past few months, and
that they probably won't show near me until after
the cherry blossom.  I also know I can find
copies (not DVD quality, VHS'ish) on the Internet.

There's an Apple Store in Ginza, but Music Store
is not available in Japan yet.  Bricks and mortar
(actually glass and steel...) beats the Internet.
I bet it's not because Apple doesn't want to
bother!  I buy quite a lot of books, I think more
than I did before Amazon.

Thanks,

Adam