Interesting People mailing list archives

more on SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH djf 2 on Query re PR Newswire - Age Verification Technology [spam]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:20:17 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:14:56 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH djf 2 on Query re PR Newswire - Age
Verification Technology [spam]

Dave,

For what it's worth... [PS: If you post, please don't attribute to me.  WAY
outside my area of expertise!]

When I saw this, my first reaction was that it must be a scam.  However,
some quick research shows that they appear to be measuring ossification in
the Proximal Phalanx (a finger bone)  to determine maturity.  Apparently,
this technique is used in forensics to determine the age at death of a
skeleton. Clever idea to use it as a means of verifying age in a living
person.  I'm curious about how they are taking the measurement (xray,
sonogram, ???).  I don't know enough about this forensic technique to know
how accurate an assessment this would provide or if there is a certain
threshold age beyond which accurate assessment is impossible.