Interesting People mailing list archives

more on two more on Sobering analysis of WiMax

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:13:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "S. Srinivas" <srinivas () radiofiber com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:05:02 -0800
Subject: Re: [IP] two more on Sobering analysis of WiMax

Jim, Jeff

By way of introduction, I was founder / CTO at CoWave Networks - later
merged with Advanced Radio Cells, now I am completing a 100 Mbps NLOS radio
implementation that is proprietary.

I agree with some aspects of your take, but not all. Agreed WiMax has been
overhyped and I always believed and still do that standards that succeed are
not written by a bunch of companies getting together. (Even WiFi started
mainly by the efforts of Lucent (and Harris) I believe.  The more common
scenario is the "creation" of a defacto standard as in the microprocessor
architectures by Intel - or Microsoft's OS/Office. I think if a company
succeeds at creating a low cost ( CPE < 150$, BS < 500$) system - say based
on structured mesh networking, and if the architecture makes it unnecessary
to get tower spaces on typical crowded towers, then there is a good chance
of success. None of this is really part of WiMax today and so there is
plenty of room for proprietary systems still or ones built on top of WiMax.

I dont buy the assertion that having wires makes wireless impossible to
succeed. Even wires need maintenance and if you look at DSLAM costs of
installation and all the associated costs of modem and installation or for
that matter of T1s or cable modems, the costs are high enough to allow
wireless to effectively compete even where SBC Yahoo DSL is 26.95 (19.95).
Capacity is not the only issue at work. Coverage and cost of roll out /
maintenance are more relevant. Infact capacity is the last important
parameter.

Most companies owning 3.5 GHz and MMDS are very interested in WiMax - for
Sprint this is a major boon. For big companies this is essential since they
can dictate pricing etc. of the devices and not the other way around like in
cellular. For eqpt vendors this is indeed a death trap. Dont make WiMax eqpt
implies no chance of taking any share of the pie. Making it implies risking
much NRE upfront and possibility of never recouping it due to pricing
pressures. Infact I am lost for words at the folly of so many chip companies
in this space  for fixed wireless.

However it is not that clueless to be an unlicensed ISP. There is enough
spectrum in 5 GHz unlicensed to handle upwards of 1 Gbps capacity (perhaps 2
to 4 Gbps with smart antenna techniques). This would work rather well in any
area (with QOS I may add) as long as the network can smartly avoid
interfered regions (aka. cognitive radios). Also the last connectivity can
be in 2.4 GHz or even lower unlicensed as long as the coverage is 1000 ft or
less - small picocells which by analogy with WiFi will avoid interference as
well, however getting greater NLOS coverage through trees to make indoor
distribution possible. I am not that tied into NLOS indoors since startup
ISPs can do just as well with rooftop installations that are easy -
especially internationally.

Srinivas