Interesting People mailing list archives

interesting solution to irritating cellphone users :-)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:21:58 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:56:27 -0800
To: "<Dave Farber: ;>"
Subject: interesting solution to irritating cellphone users :-)

There is one technique I have used successfully to alleviate the annoyance.
When someone talks on their cell phone, pull out a pen and paper and take
notes. I do this in airports, especially. Usually folks move away, but if
they ask, you remind them that it is a public space and all conversations
are in the public domain and may be used by journalists or bloggers.

If someone is arguing on the phone with a boy/girlfriend or spouse, you can
suggest that [insert name overheard] might be available for a date.
If they are talking business, just do a Marlowe, look professional and don't
deny you are an industrial spy.

It is funny that many people seem to think they have the right to a private
conversation as they are shouting all over a public place. They hate it when
people listen in. And taking notes? They can get very annoyed about that!

The pen is mightier than the phone! Try it, I think you'll be impressed, or
at least amused, by the reaction. And you'll enjoy more peace and quiet.

------ End of Forwarded Message