Interesting People mailing list archives

WHY YOUR BROADBAND SUCKS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:09:29 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:49:20 -0800
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] WHY YOUR BROADBAND SUCKS

[Note:  Lessig likes to put into practice what he preaches.  For over a
year now, he's been supporting SFLan <http://www.sflan.org>, a wireless
community network in San Francisco, which covers the entire city.  DLH]

WHY YOUR BROADBAND SUCKS

[Commentary] City leaders stepping in to provide cheap broadband when
the market hasn't? What's next -- providing street lights when private
interests don't? This sort of insanity is raging across the US today.
Pushed by lobbyists, at least 14 states have passed legislation similar
to Pennsylvania's that blocks municipal Internet networks. Lessig says
he's always wondered what almost $1 billion spent on lobbying state
lawmakers gets you. Now we're beginning to see. He concludes: City and
state politicians should have the backbone to stand up to self-serving
lobbyists. Citizens everywhere should punish telecom toadies who don't.
Backwater broad­band has been our fate long enough. Let the markets,
both private and public, compete to provide the service that telecom
and cable has not.

[SOURCE: Wired, AUTHOR: Lawrence Lessig lawrence_lessig () wiredmag com
(You saw him on West Wing, but didn't he look like the guy from Taxi?)]
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net> [Note: Requires
registration]
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>