Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ID Theft and ChoicePoint Imbroglio

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:16:53 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:15:10 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] ID Theft and ChoicePoint Imbroglio

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 08:50:35AM -0500, David Farber quoted:
"We're not to blame, but we're taking responsibility,"
[ChoicePoint spokesman] Lee said. "The people committing the fraud were
smarter and quicker than we were.

"not to blame?"

ChoicePoint chose to collect this information.

ChoicePoint chose to profit from selling this information.

ChoicePoint chose to sell it to scammers because they were too
cheap, lazy and stupid to bother to even Google a phone number
and figure out that it was the fax machine at a Kinko's.

ChoicePoint chose to - variously - inconvenience, endanger,
and disrupt the lives of at least 145,000 people (that they're
admitting so far -- and CA authorities are throwing around a
number in the vicinity of 500,000).

And "they're not to blame"?

Uh-huh.

---Rsk