Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Rummy LOVES covert citizen-tracking!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:48:35 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Hiawatha Bray <watha () monitortan com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:48:44 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Rummy LOVES covert citizen-tracking!

The only way TIA or something like it won't be attempted would be to ban it
or anything like it.  And that would be ridiculous.  The only thing wrong
with DARPA's plan was the lousy job they did explaining it to the public.
Inflammatory newspaper stories turned it into a plan to keep dossiers on
every living soul--a complete misunderstanding of what DARPA was doing.

I have no idea whether TIA could ever be made to work. But I don't have the
least objection to a government effort to study the idea.  The resulting
discoveries can then be put out in the open, and properly regulated, instead
of being developed on the sly, and subject to who-knows-how much abuse.

Hiawatha Bray