Interesting People mailing list archives

Wi-Fi phones are starting to arrive with some interesting twists

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:38:31 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:08:56 -0800
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Wi-Fi phones are starting to arrive with some
interesting twists

 I just completed an iChat with reader James Seng, who's attending the
APRICOT 2005 <http://www.2005.apricot.net/> conference in Kyoto.  James
pointed me to his recent blog entry titled 'Giving out WiFi SIP Phones'
<http://james.seng.cc/archives/2005/02/21/
giving_out_wifi_sip_phones.html>.  If you're one of the lucky folks
attending the conference, then you would have received one of the new
Hitachi Wi-Fi SIP phones as part of the 'APEET ENUM/SIP Live Trial'
<http://www.apenum.org/APRICOT2005/Live_Trial>.
 Take a look at his blog entry and consider the future as more of these
phones start to roll out with support for things like ENUM.  I have had
a Pulver Innovations 'WiSIP' phone for several months now, programmed
to use my Vonage softphone account.  I haven't made much use of it on
trips due to the problems with getting it to register with commercial
hotspots which require web access of some sort to authenticate and use
their service.  Hopefully, these next generations phones will make
travel use easier then it has been to date.

-- Dewayne

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net> [Note: Requires
registration]
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>