Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Mad cow disease" secrecy legislation?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:58:21 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:35:21 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] "Mad cow disease" secrecy legislation?

A similar bill is before the Legislature in Maryland, with a slight twist.
It would make it a tort to reveal the identity of a farm with a reported
outbreak of avian flu.  It has passed the house of reps, and going to the
senate.  The reason according to the association lobbyists is that it would
tend to spread the disease if reporters were to flock (pun intended) to a
farm with avian bird flu. So the bill will make it possible for the farm to
sue the publisher of such information.  This means that the CDC cannot
publish the information either, thus it is impossible to have more than one
agency work on epidemiological studies without being sued for damages.

Our local papers are full of this, only they are honest about it.  The
reason, say they, is that they are afraid they will lose business if people
find out they have avian bird flu.  Sounds reasonable to me.

I think we should make it illegal to out waitresses that have typhoid,
especially if they are named Mary.

Robert Lee