Interesting People mailing list archives

more on House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:33:26 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:00:28 -0500
To: Daz <me () dazmcg net>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

Daz--

Your question about "potential competition:"  yes, there are circumstances
in which this can control prices, but only if price is very sticky.
Otherwise, firms will maintain high prices until the competition actually
enters, then lower price to meet competition.  Airlines a case in point.
But if firms price using long-term contracts, then potential competition can
deter monopoly pricing prior to entry.

Now to the real point.  If you take a job as a law enforcement official,
including an oath to uphold the law, then yes I expect you to do what you
pledge to do.  If you don't like some of these laws, then don't take the
job.  It's that simple.  Beyond that, I cannot see how anyone would think
the current standards on broadcast TV indecency are "unethical."  I don't
agree with them, and I'd prefer at little more bustline on my 8 pm and 9 pm
CSI-type shows.  But this is a preference; it doesn't make the law
unethical.  Like it or not, this is the country we live in, and standards
like this are an expression of the popular will.  These laws are not
unethical, although they go further than I personally would like.

While I agree with Dave that some agencies of USG don't enforce laws they
are charged to enforce, I view this as USG hypocrisy of the worst kind.  If
we don't like a law, then change it.  This should be Rule One of any
democracy.  Hypocrisy should not be part of our political agenda.

Professor Gerald R. Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104