Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC Commissioners Ask For Private Meetings

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:34:11 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:00:05 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Commissioners Ask For Private Meetings

Dave -

I have mixed reactions to this, based on my experiences with ICANN (and I
have mixed feelings about expressing them openly!!).  If people were
perfect, all-open meeting would be a good rule, but we wouldn't need
it.  What is more likely to happen with all-open meetings, as opposed to
public open meetings plus the possibility of closed ones, is that all the
underhandedness goes completely underground.  Openness is good, but it's an
impossible standard. You want to see horse trading in public, but there's
just no way to avoid private discussions and I think it's better to
acknowledge them than try to hide them.

I support most disclosure requirements, but sometimes you just need to talk
in private.  The first rule is to pick people who are fundamentally honest
.... if we only could.

For the record, I believe in open board meetings (having closed board
meetings initially was one of ICANN's biggest mistakes), but there was some
truth to what Hans Kraaijenbrink once said (I'm paraphrasing) at a press
conference to announce our new open board meetings: "Of course we just make
all the decisions at dinner the night before."  Would outlawing the dinners
help?

Of course not.  people would have found ways around it. But the open board
meetings themselves, though we adopted them too late, did improve
things.  They  dispelled some of the secrecy ...and over time people began
to speak more frankly in public.

But I do think there's a balance, and prohibiting all private contact
between more than two people makes it difficult to get things done, reach
compromises....and to follow the rules.   (Actually, it's the two-person
meetings that are the worst, in government and in business, because people
say things one-on-one that they can always deny later.....)

I just think the real problems lie elsewhere - including meetings not among
commissioners, but with outside interested parties....
Transparency is much more than holding open meetings and publishing
inscrutable documents. It means listening, explaining your reasoning,
documenting why decisions were made and what interests were considered, and
more. It's a pity you can't force it into being with a few rules.  It needs
a vigilant press, disinterested and forthright public servants, and people
such as you willing to spend their own time and effort making sure people
stay honest.

I'd like to say: If we don't trust these people (commissioners), why are
they there in the first place? but that raises a whole *other* set of
questions.