Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Database giant gives access to fake firms

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:44:55 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:54:28 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Database giant gives access to fake firms

Hello Dave;

For IP if you like.

As we are all aware these days, we live in a world that gives individuals
unprecedented powers. The advance of technology now provides consumer
available products that allow anyone so motivated (and it can be
accomplished in many cases by ONE person) to commit physical acts of
destruction well beyond the capacity of the average person only 50 years
ago. The govenment, as it should, legislates and controls access to these
technologies and other products. But I would like to know which is more
dangerous to the average person; the risk of a Timothy McVeigh style attack,
or the risk of identity/credit fraud/extortion? While the government
controls access to firearms (to a degree anyway) and dangerous chemicals and
technologies - holding the manufacturers/distributors to strict regulation,
control and accountability, they do not seem to do the same with companies
like ChoicePoint. The fact that "fake" companies were able to access the
database shows that the company is not formally regulated (at least not
against this form of breach) and moreover is not legally bound and
accountable for the risks to which it is exposing the public through its
incompetence. If they were accountable for (consumer) damages resulting from
their error, I am positive that they wouldn't have been so easily duped.

The right to gather data of this nature is a matter of debate (in this list
among other places), but regardless of whether it is
legal/moral/constitutional for someone to gather this data, the fact that
they have the data should impose upon them a legally binding accountability
that ensures that the data is never accessed except by fully qualified and
government sanctioned clients. A database of the type ChoicePoint manages
with a significant portion of the US population recorded within it would, in
my opinion, rank right up there with strong crypto, advanced processors and
computers and enriched plutonium as a tool/technology for creating weapons
of mass destruction. Mass destruction from credit fraud, you ask? Why not?
With a few talented programmers and a bit of social hacking, the contents of
ChoicePoint's database could be used to coordinate an automated credit fraud
system that ran completely automatically and attacked millions of victims in
a few hours. The scenarios are legion, but controllable, if only companies
like ChoicePoint were to be held liable for their mistakes.

The article below is rather clear in its portrayal of ChoicePoint as victim
of a crime and criminal investigation - ChoicePoint is not a victim, it is a
collaborator - although a legal team would probably try to add "unwitting."
In my opinion, anyone in possession of a database of this nature ought to be
treated the same as someone in possession of a top secret defense contract -
if there is a leak of any kind, there are SERIOUS repurcussions.

Marc