Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Intelligent design vs. evolution, From Neil Munro. So, I got a bunch of interesting replies ....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:05:32 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rob <robspiere () aol com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:01:42 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Intelligent design vs. evolution, From Neil Munro.
So, I got a bunch of interesting replies ....

Dave, this rather long reply...  for IP if you wish.

I'm not quite sure where Mr. Munro is going with his argument that most of
our lives "must be guided by non-scientific patterns of thought."  He seems
to be saying that because there are so many things that science has little
to do with, like cheating on our spouses or choosing a dinner menu, science
lacks value as a "pattern of thought," and that we should teach other less
scientific methods.  He then cites an example of this not working out, which
seems to be without merit anyway.

In brief, the article cited talks about a Massachusetts middle school whose
standardized math scores have "plummeted in just three years" to 68% of
students passing, although it is never stated what the passing rate was
three years ago.  The author, Tom Mountain, blames a new "PC lunacy"
curriculum of anti-racist multiculturalist math, which allegedly makes the
"teaching of math... a distant second" to "demonstrating
anti-racist/anti-bias behaviors." The article is complete with familiar
anti-intellectual attacks against "highly-paid administrators," two of whose
salaries he quotes.

There's a good reason this story hasn't gotten much press:  because it's not
true.  Chris Correa has already written a great piece which refutes
Mountain's major points, and it can be found on Correa's website here:
http://www.chriscorrea.com/archives/2005/straw-mans-math/

According to Correa, the short version is that Mountain "essentially makes
up a math curriculum that doesn't exist."  The new curriculum in use at
Newton is the Connected Math program, which evidently has had success at
other schools.  Correa suggests that Newton might be having trouble due to
recent overcrowding in the classroom, and cites a report showing that most
of the high-scoring Massachusetts schools from 2002 have declined since
then.

Finally, Munro asks if the science-types out react so strongly to
creationism showing up in the schools because they seet it as a populist
threat to the political clout of organized science.

Creationism *is* a threat to organized science because when it (or
Intelligent Design) is taught as equal to the theory of evolution the result
is to marginalize science and the scientific method as it applies to
everything else.  Creationism is not better or worse than evolution, it's
not more valid or less; the two are incomparable.  Evolution is a testable
and imperfect theory, which is largely consistent with emprical evidence and
has been refined and enhanced over decades of research and peer review.
Creationism by definition is the final word, perfect in every regard, with
an answer for everything.  When people say "they're all just theories, let's
teach them both" they imply that creationism and evolution are the same kind
of thing.

Rob