Interesting People mailing list archives

more on tsa and lighters

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:31:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Shoop <shoop () iwiring net>
Date: December 3, 2005 3:59:16 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on tsa and lighters

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: December 3, 2005 2:13:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Digest 1.856 for ip

The same reason we elected clowns who banned lighters, out of fear that
terrorists would have an easier time using them to ignite explosives
than matches... when, aside from the apparently mentally disturbed guy
who tried to light his shoes on fire, I doubt I could find a single case
of a recent terrorist event where the explosives in question were not
"ignited" by a detonator (probably electrical) of some sort.

"They've also taken away 8.1 million lighters, the only item prohibited
by law. Congress, concerned that terrorists would have an easier time
igniting a bomb with a lighter than with matches, enacted the ban."

One should note that not *ALL* lighters are banned from planes. Specifically Zippo lighters are permitted. This is b/c Arlen Spector, who's committee enacted the bill is from the state in which they are made.
--

-dhan

Dan Shoop                                                   AIM: iWiring
Systems & Networks Architect                     http://www.iwiring.net/
shoop () iwiring net                                 http://www.ustsvs.com/

pgp key fingerprint: FAC0 9434 B5A5 24A8 D0AF  12B1 7840 3BE7 3736 DE0B

iWiring provides systems and networks support for Mac OS X, unix, and
Open Source application technologies at affordable rates.