Interesting People mailing list archives

more on GOP Lawmakers Propose Forming Secretive Federal Agency to Spur Vaccine Development

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:28:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: ken kousky <kkousky () ip3-inc com>
Date: December 3, 2005 11:58:20 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] GOP Lawmakers Propose Forming Secretive Federal Agency to Spur Vaccine Development

It takes only a 30 minute history of bioweapons development to understand that it was this approach that created the problems we now confront in our
war to eradicate, at least in the hands of our enemies, weapons of mass
destruction. Our own DoD tested bio weapons and bio delivery systems quite
recklessly. We elected not to prosecute the Japanese forces that killed
hundreds of thousands of Chinese in bio-weapons testing and development in
order to gain access to their knowledge, to share in their spoils.

In an effort not to repeat the mistakes of the past, we should be horrified by this kind of cold-war approach. It is this approach that has put anthrax, small pox and other horrifying weapons into the global underground markets and it will again be a corrupting force even when initiated with the very
best of intentions.

But we do need to let our government begin serious planning on how we will
deal with something just as frightening to liberally minded people -
quarantine plans. The most vital defense against viral pandemics of bird flu or small pox, massive quarantines. This will be the source of far greater social collapse than we witnessed in New Orleans because we are unable to engage in meaningful public planning around the most vital Homeland Security
tool we have for these threats.

We need a government plan for quarantines that the public trusts and
endorses BEFORE we have a serious incident.

KWK