Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:25:14 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
Date: December 3, 2005 12:53:16 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Amazon Phishing scam - BEWARE!

i have adopted a Neo-Luddite approach to all this:

I believe *nothing* of a commercial nature i get in email
that i cannot vouchsafe with external knowledge.
even then *I* always initiate contact through
known channels, rather than accepting a channel
offered to me.

Sure it's less convenient, but much less annoying than the consequences.

Fer Instance:

I don't believe anything I get about eBay or Amazon
because I know they don't use email notifications
precisely because of this.  and i know enough about
my accounts that i wouldn't believe it even if they did.

if i was concerned, i'd enter the site through a
known-good DNS name, do a bit of checking around,
and then login to my account.
(The status line at the bottom of your browser
can tell you a LOT about whether a link is bogus.
Firefox even complains if it fails "obviousness" checks.)

in short, when someone sends you a "shortcut" in an email,
*ASSUME* it's the Big Bad Wolf providing it *REGARDLESS*
of who sent the email (either apparently or in fact).

        -mo

"Just click here to <urk!>"

Begin forwarded message: