Interesting People mailing list archives

Do we need more bandwidth -- your Editors comments

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:04:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce () newnetworks com>
Date: December 31, 2005 7:29:19 PM EST
To: "David J. Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Do we need more bandwidth -- your Editors comments

Speed is only important in relationship to the applications that need the
bandwidth.
The US phone companies don't have a clue about this issue -- thus they
can claim we don't need speed because they just don't get it. They think
speed is for video channels', an distorted legacy application, as bob
frankston might say.

Speed is important because of the applications demand it.

The French PTT gets it. They don't talk about speed. they deliver the
application. in this case, integrated video conferencing --- people to
people video.
http://www.francetelecom.com/en/our_solutions/residential/ presentation/index.html

Now, imagine you doing a tele-gathering with 4 people simultaneously ---
Without speed you simply can't do it.

That's what the US telcos don't get... high-bandwidth peer-to-peer... ie,
people talking to people, as joe plotkin of bwaynet keeps saying. The
application
is symmetric -- thus FIOS is a dog because it is a fiber wire that has a
speed-governor on it on the upstream to stop customers from creating new
applications.

One other point -- both Korea and Japan have 100 Mbps service,
bi-directional, and priced to be used by residential customers at $35-45
dollars. --- imagine the applications their customers will design that we
will never be
able to keep up with. --- FIOS top speed at $199 is 30 Mbps (5 down).
It's not a consumer product and it has no clue about the applications
that other countries are already doing....

Bruce Kushnick, Teletruth.