Interesting People mailing list archives

wrong city/wrong univ. Attack on IIT Delhi]

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:53:33 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Re: [IP] Attack on IIT Delhi
From:    "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh () hserus net>
Date:    Thu, December 29, 2005 11:31 pm
To:      dave () farber net
Cc:      george.sadowsky () attglobal net

Wrong city, Dave .. and wrong institute.

Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore - nice suburban campus, great
scientists (some of whom I happen to know). Not the indian institute of
technology in delhi [which is 3 hours or so by air from bangalore]

There was a convention there, that a retired professor from IIT Delhi was
attending, and he was the only one that died in the shooting.

Some others are hospitalized with gunshot wounds ranging from minor to
major (and the founder of the simputer project apparently got badly
wounded - at least three bullets on his shoulder and one of his arms..)

No idea what the weapon was, hazy descriptions, but it sounds like an
assault rifle on full auto - probably a kalashnikov ak-47, that being
fairly common as a terrorist weapon in india (other parts of india that do
have a terrorist problem at least .. this incident is kind of a first for
bangalore).

David Farber wrote:
it was real -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4564892.stm

djf