Interesting People mailing list archives

wiretapping and data-mining

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:27:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: fuhn () pobox com
Date: December 28, 2005 11:26:33 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: wiretapping and data-mining

I'm visiting my folks and have been watching more FOX News than I might
otherwise.  All the stories about the NSA data mining so far have been
largely discussed over background video of scenes that might be associated
with taping a circuit-switched phone call (wire clips, wire-wrap pins,
etc).  Seems to me that these visuals, and the understanding the
commentators have about what might really be happening is rather out
dated.

So, where are the journalists, or technologists or who are going to begin
to try explaining what the differences might be?  It seems to me that
articles are going to have to begin appearing in the popular press that
begin to explain the differences if the population at large is to
understand how their privacy is being invaded...