Interesting People mailing list archives

funny: my freecycle.org / fundable.org project

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:13:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Meng Weng Wong <mengwong () pobox com>
Date: December 28, 2005 11:29:11 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: funny: my freecycle.org / fundable.org project

For IP, if you wish. This is a story about my attempt to improve my living room with the help of strangers on the Internet.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mengwong/7936.html

It all began with this post to Freecycle.

    There is an enormous shrine to the Gods of Electronic Entertainment
    in my living room. I am not a worshipper; I want it to go away.

    It is not actually from Ikea, but it looks like it could be. It is
made of Ikea-grade wood, with tasteful glass front panels. It fits a 27 inch TV, and has room on both sides for your DVD player, receiver,
    TiVo DVR, Playstation, Xbox, obsolete CD player, et cetera.

At its highest point it stands about five foot six, and is about five
    feet wide. It is light brown. It dominates the room. If an
    insufficiency of furniture keeps you up at night, this is the cure.

To get it down the half-flight of steps and through the front door, you
    may have to take it apart. You may need a truck or van as well. I
    have tools, but no truck.

    You are welcome to swing by and eyeball it before saying "gimme."
    Remember, the average American spends more than four hours a day
watching television. The more you watch, the more average you become.
    Caveat Emptor.

It would be easy. Painless. A nice anonymous stranger would show up with a truck and a buddy. While I napped upstairs, they would quickly and quietly dissassemble the entertainment center and take it away. Your basic burglary charge, but minus the hassle of breaking and entering. Freecycle is genius: with the power of Web 2.0, you can now pull an inside job on your own stuff!

I got half a dozen responses, evenly split between "Yes, I want it" and "No thanks, but you made me laugh." The "you made me laugh" responses mostly came from female names. This leads me to suggest the following: all Internet services eventually evolve to the point where you can use them to date.

Anyway, it was all going according to plan. One person came to see it. Shocked and awed by its imposing girth, she decided she didn't have room. No problem. Plenty of other people wanted it.

Then my roommate pointed out that he'd paid a few hundred bucks for the thing, and it would be nice to recover some of that cash. I had to admit he had a point. Dented the momentum, though.

I know what you're thinking: this is where Meng deftly switches from Freecycle Success Story to eBay Success Story. Wrong. Too easy. Been there, done that.

Instead, we're going to make this a Fundable Success Story.

Here's the deal.

Before I can give away the entertainment center to a random stranger on Freecycle, I need my roommate's permission.

To get my roommate's permission, I need to give him, say, $256.

To raise $256, sixteen random people go to Fundable and donate $16 each. You could contribute to this worthy common cause!

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/mengwong.freecycle.1