Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cellphone 911 calls failed in big storm: Prudence

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:43:08 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 22, 2005 6:19:07 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Cellphone 911 calls failed in big storm: Prudence

When are we going to allow a marketplace-based solution? E911 has to be
mandated in the bucket-brigade telecom system where nothing works unless
everyone does things just right.

In an end-to-end system these systems become far easier to build. Perhaps rules for providing location information from DHCP servers are needed but
otherwise it's a system that can be implemented out elements. I'm not
saying it's trivial but it doesn't have to be limited by a rigid
definition.

A simple example -- if I am reporting an accident when will I be able to
send an image or video from my camera-phone. With an E2E system that can be implemented incrementally. With the current system will it ever be doable?

Can I use voice-grams or text if there is a connectivity problem or is it
all or none? Can I use alternative connectivity?

Marketplaces aren't magic -- in some you have to mandate an arbitrary
solution and in others guidelines can work very well and then you solve
problems as they arise rather than having to anticipate all possible
scenarios..