Interesting People mailing list archives

more on TSA Releases New List of Banned Items

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:41:35 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Serge Egelman <serge () guanotronic com>
Date: December 22, 2005 6:05:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] TSA Releases New List of Banned Items

I'm currently at the Charlotte airport en route to Charlottesville for the weekend; getting here was interesting. Going throug Pittsburgh airport security, they asked if they could look through my backpack (it was more of a rhetorical question of course). Much to my surprise, the woman pulls out my kryptonite bike lock, which I had totally forgotten I had in there. She said she needed to ask the supervisor if it was permitted. At this point I started worrying about having to throw it out and buy a new one when I return. The supervisor took one look at it and then said something like, "oh, we don't care about those."

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. But at the same time even more perplexed. I mean, this is solid steel and weighs at least five pounds; one can do a lot more damage with it than with a pocket knife. [ so can that plastic knife djf]
Alas.

Serge
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.  Hence the typos.