Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cellphone 911 calls failed in big storm: Prudence

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:20:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: December 22, 2005 2:00:18 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Cellphone 911 calls failed in big storm: Prudence

Dave,

I have a couple of quick comments on this.  I don't disagree with your
reader in that it never hurts to have a back-up plan but before going
outside of the 9-1-1 network, you should have a very good understanding of
how the system works and what you lose going outside of it.

1. Not all dispatch centers are equal. In my town, police are dispatched
from two different physical locations (one for local police calls and
another for state police calls on the interstates in our area) and basic
life supports ambulances, fire equipment and Advance Life Support teams are dispatched from another location. In the next town local police, fire, BLS ambulances are dispatched in one physical location but Advanced Life Support is dispatched from a second location. (I know this is weird but New Jersey
is a home rule state. <shrug>)  The county 9-1-1 call center ties all of
this together and coordinates dispatching of multiple resources between all
of the physical dispatcher locations.

2. 9-1-1 lines take priority. A motor vehicle accident on a busy road can generate 50-100 cell calls to a dispatch center. The standard at our county 9-1-1 center is that 9-1-1 calls must be answered by the third ring. On the first ring, it rings only at call takers desk(s). On rings two and three it rings so every dispatcher in the call center hears it. If no one picks it
up by the third ring, the call automatically transfers to next adjacent
county call center.  This is to insure that 9-1-1 calls are answered as
quickly as possible. The same rule does not apply to 7 digit direct numbers.
The local numbers for dispatchers also deal with non-emergency issues,
taking phone reports, questions about court dates, etc. and may not be
answered quickly during a crunch.

3.  The 9-1-1 dispatch center can also add additional resources.  For
instance, in our area certain EMS calls trigger the addition of a fire
engine to assist with access, lifting, first response, etc.  Some calls
trigger dispatch to put aeromedical units on standby.  Having these
resources dispatched early saves time.

Again, I'm not saying it does not hurt to have a back-up plan and I can't
directly speak to the other reader's specific location.  However, in 12
years of doing EMS and having the direct line numbers of all of the
dispatchers, when I've needed help I've always called 9-1-1 (preferably from a landline) as it offers the most failsafe method of insuring quick access
to help.

-Ed