Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Theater Owners Want to Jam Cell Phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:06:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Boyes <dboyes () sinenomine net>
Date: December 22, 2005 11:01:23 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Theater Owners Want to Jam Cell Phones

 For IP, if you so choose.

From: Jeff Ballard <ballard () engr wisc edu>
Date: December 22, 2005 7:28:02 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Theater Owners Want to Jam Cell Phones

While "jamming" might be easier (to a point), sometimes the
low-tech solution might just be easier

Now that most phones have *finally* standardized on the 2.5mm headset
jack (a pox upon the vendors that continue to manufacture phones without
one, or with non-standard headset jacks!), one interesting solution I've
used is to buy a case of those cheap earbud/mike headsets -- you can get
them very cheaply in lots of a thousand from distributors in Asia; the
distributor I found sells a box of 1000 for about $45 -- and keep a few
in your jacket pocket. Whenever someone is being a jerk wrt to their
phone, I simply go over to them and silently hand them one.

It's amazing how much impact it has -- particularly with the loud
talkers -- and also how effective it is to get them to quit bellowing.
Often the main reason is that their phone doesn't reproduce certain
frequencies very well, so just the ability to hear better fixes the
problem. It's also a positive, mostly non-confrontational way to address
the social problem.

-- db