Interesting People mailing list archives

One Billion Internet Users

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Adam Peake (ajp () glocom ac jp)" <apeake () gmail com>
Date: December 20, 2005 9:06:49 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: One Billion Internet Users

Dave,

<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/internet_growth.html>

"Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, December 19, 2005:

One Billion Internet Users
billion users. A second billion users will follow in the next ten
years, bringing a dramatic change in worldwide usability needs.

 Some time in 2005, we quietly passed a dramatic milestone in Internet
history: the one-billionth user went online. Because we have no
central register of Internet users, we don't know who that user was,
or when he or she first logged on. Statistically, we're likely talking
about a 24-year-old woman in Shanghai.

According to Morgan Stanley estimates, 36% of Internet users are now
in Asia and 24% are in Europe. Only 23% of users are in North America,
where it all started in 1969 when two computers -- one in Los Angeles,
the other in Palo Alto -- were networked together.

It took 36 years for the Internet to get its first billion users. The
second billion will probably be added by 2015; most of these new users
will be in Asia. The third billion will be harder, and might not be
reached until 2040.

In 2002, NUA estimated that we had 605 million Internet users. Since
then, Internet use has grown by 18% per year -- certainly not as fast
as the 1990s, but still respectable.

Overall, the Internet's growth has been truly remarkable. Ten years
ago, the 'net was mostly used by geeks; now it's the default way to do
business in many countries. In our U.S. and European B2B studies, many
business professionals said they visit a company's website as the
first step in researching potential vendors."

see URL above more. Thanks to Ross Rader for the pointer.

Adam