Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Theater Owners Want to Jam Cell Phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:50:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 22, 2005 12:33:27 AM EST
To: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Theater Owners Want to Jam Cell Phones

But an on-call doctor who walked into such a theater that fully
disclosed their use of blocking technology would be the one liable.
Same as if he'd turned his phone off.

The theater owner is in a weak position, irrespective of any
notifications.  The contractual relationship is between the doctor
and the common carrier cell firm, the latter having been granted
specific rights as part of its license.  The theater owner -- in the
case of purposeful jamming in an attempt to disrupt cell service in
an area where it would otherwise be available -- is interjecting
himself into a relationship in which he has no obvious standing
under the current models of cell service or broadcasting.

Frankly, I believe that this is largely academic.  I suspect that
the FCC will not be enthusiastic about the prospect of opening up the
Pandora's box of private jamming for the sake of occasionally
annoyed theater patrons or theater owners.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com