Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Firewall: The Movie

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:13:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: steven cherry <steven () panix com>
Date: December 21, 2005 5:22:50 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Firewall: The Movie

Dave,

I just looked at the preview of this, and I don't see why it would drive bad policy any more than the Jack Ryan movies (Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger) or any other Harrison Ford movie to which it bears a passing resemblance.

The story line involves a criminal who spends the better part of a year studying one individual. That's hardly a model for standard identity theft.

The individual (the Harrison Ford character) is intimately knows
the security software of the bank at which he works. (He seems to
be both an uber-systems programmer and the CSO or CTO.) To save his family, he needs to break into bank digitally and steal $100 million. From the trailer, it doesn't seem that he does this entirely undetected. In any event, when we worry about hackers or crackers, this is not the threat model the public and politicians are concerned about.

 Regards,

  Steven

--
   Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566