Interesting People mailing list archives

Hollywood less gender-friendly than the US Senate AND the Afghanistan government?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:25:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: rick tait <rickt () rickt org>
Date: December 20, 2005 10:30:27 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: IP Submission: Hollywood less gender-friendly than the US Senate AND the Afghanistan government?

Dave,

I'm not sure if this is *entirely* appropriate for IP, but such a good cause along with a very definite political and technical aspect surely deserves a wider audience! If you deem appropriate, the exposure to your subscribers would help *enormously*!

BACKGROUND/DISCLAIMER:
My fiancé (Tara Veneruso) is a director, and she also founded and runs a grass-roots organization called MOVIES BY WOMEN, whose purpose is to increase the number of women directors working in film, television and other media. In order to highlight the STARTLING statistics of gender and racial inequality in Hollywood, MOVIES BY WOMEN is partnering with the Guerrilla Girls to put up a very large billboard smack in the middle of Hollywood, right in the middle of Oscar season. Unfortunately, the cost of the billboard is quite enormous and we are seeking small (tax-deductible!!!) donations to help defray the costs!

Thank you SO much. Please note that I myself am not officially affiliated with the campaign. I am merely a very happy long-time IP subscriber/old-school UNIX cowboy who feels that this issue needs the exposure that your list may garner!

Very sincerely yours,
Rick Tait.
rickt () rickt org
323.829.5703

--- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here ---

Dave: I wonder if you might consider this plea for help as a submission to IP? Such a good cause, along with a very definite political and technical aspect surely deserves a wider audience!!!

Very sincerely yours,
Rick Tait.

/========BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN ALERT========\

++ Do Your Part To Shake Up Hollywood During The 2006 Oscar Season!

MOVIES BY WOMEN is partnering with the Guerrilla Girls and sponsors such as New York Women in Film & Television to create a billboard highlighting the gender and racial inequality in the entertainment industry.

During the 2006 Oscar® season, this billboard will call much-needed attention to the "startling statistics" that only 7% of all directors working on the highest grossing films of 2005 were women -- down from 11% in 2000! Everyone who passes on Sunset Boulevard, in the heart of Hollywood and near the home of the Academy Awards©, will be exposed to the truth that women all too rarely fill the most esteemed role in filmmaking.

There are in fact, three times more female US Senators than there are female directors. In recognizing that NO female director has ever won an Oscar® for Feature Film Direction, Cinematography, or Sound, we must also conclude that Hollywood does not promote women as leaders in such technical fields.

By donating to the MOVIES BY WOMEN billboard campaign, you will help us raise the $6,000 necessary to present the world with the following facts:

- 6% of the recently-elected Afghanistan government is comprised of women, a better statistic than Hollywood.

- 94% of all Writing awards have gone to men.

- Only 3% of all Acting awards (Leading & Supporting) have gone to persons of color (African-American, Latino, and Asian-American combined).

Hollywood likes to say that they are cutting-edge, but in reality the entertainment industry is lagging behind EVERY other industry in terms of equality for women and people of color. Don't miss out on this opportunity to make a *global impact* -- the images we create go out to the entire world!

Time is of essence. This is the last crucial 15 days for us to raise the money. By getting the billboard up, we create a media buzz, that buzz gets the conversation going, those conversations spark change. We can do this if we do it together. Even $10 can help us reach our goal!

YOU have helped us raise an amazing amount in the past few weeks -- but we still need more donations in order to pay for the billboard materials. To help us get the $3,400 still needed, please send $10, $25, $50 or even $100 today and *encourage others to donate*. Thank you for helping to make a difference!

++ HOW YOU CAN HELP +++

To read more about the startling statistics and to make a (tax- deductible) donation to our billboard campaign, please go to http:// moviesbywomen.com/oscar2006pr.html

See previous billboards here: http://moviesbywomen.com/ billboard_1.jpg and here: http://moviesbywomen.com/billboard_2.jpg

++ MOVIES BY WOMEN (http://moviesbywomen.com) highlights feature films directed by women, supporting them the first weekend they are theatrically distributed through the infamous weekly email known as THE FIRST WEEKENDERS GROUP.

++ THE GUERRILLA GIRLS (http://guerrillagirls.com) is a rogue group of anonymous females who build awareness for inequalities in the art and entertainment industries. They launched the first "Anatomically Correct Oscar" billboard campaign in 2002 and a second campaign in 2003. The location of the billboard during the height of awards season in Los Angeles created a furor in the domestic and international communities with articles in such diverse media outlets as Access Hollywood, the UK's BBC, the LA Times, NBC-TV, CBS-TV.

--- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here --- --- snip here ---