Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Wireless Regulation Matters Even More, Now

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:44:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: December 16, 2005 4:46:38 PM EST
To: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Wireless Regulation Matters Even More, Now

Thomas, you are lucky that you can even get a broadband connection.

I live in Saratoga, IN SILICON VALLEY. I can not get DSL or Cable Modem from anyone. I can get IDSL (pinned up ISDN, 144kbps) from Covad for $129/month or a 384kbps T1 for $379/month. I can also get the Etheric 784kbps (with a bandwidth cap!) wireless service for $90/ month.

The only reason I have broadband is because I have been working in the wireless field for a long time and was able to arrainge a link to MetroFi.

But I would rather have a wired link any day. The wireless link has effectively variable thruput. At best I'm getting just under 1Mbps downstream. Sometimes though its more like 384kbps. Plus latency is very variable so you can't do too much VoIP (I have successfully done single calls that works better than cellular)

In Japan and Korea, people get 24Mpbs for around $12/month. You can get fiber 100Mbps (soon Gbps) for $50/month.

That is the minimums we should be shooting for. Not begging for a few Mbps and then the phone company and cable co saying what we can and can not transfer over that bandwidth.

Rob