Interesting People mailing list archives

Try Googling Watson...:)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:24:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: December 13, 2005 8:26:25 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Try Googling Watson...:)

[Note:  This item comes from friend Janos Gereben.  DLH]

From: "JanosG" <janosg () sbcglobal net>
Date: December 12, 2005 8:46:28 AM PST
Subject: Try Googling Watson...:)

[... and you pretty much see the justification to take a look at Watson, the Little Search Engine That (Maybe) Could. To be fair, if you Google "Watson search," you get closer. NB: If you want to try Watson, be sure to read Dawn's warnings at the end of the article.]

<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/columnists/ dawn_chmielewski/13388016.htm>

Tool helps you find stuff that you didn't know you were looking for
By Dawn Chmielewski, Mercury News / 12/12/2005

Here in Silicon Valley, we're search snobs. We act like the whole notion of searching the Web was practically invented here. Certainly, with Google and Yahoo, we enjoy considerable bragging rights. But a little-known company out of Chicago has created a search assistant called Watson that turns the traditional seek-and- ye-shall-find approach to online information on its head.

Watson is a downloadable piece of software that sits in the corner of your computer screen, like AOL's Instant Messenger, and looks over your shoulder as you work.

Watson could well represent the next step in Web search. By adding intelligence and context to what is now mostly a popularity contest, the search results are clearly more relevant to you, although its desktop omnipresence (like an editor hovering over your words) can sometimes get on your nerves.

Instead of entering key words or phrases into a search box, Watson constantly scours the Internet for information related to the PowerPoint presentation you're reviewing, the Word document you're crafting, the e-mail you're reading or the Web site you're browsing. <snip>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>