Interesting People mailing list archives

Just a go$%!mned piece of paper...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:12:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: geoff goodfellow <geoff () beat net>
Date: December 10, 2005 2:19:18 PM EST
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Just a go$%!mned piece of paper...

Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 9, 2005, 07:53

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval
Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing
the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period
immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger
that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined
forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr
to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous
provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad
at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House
Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

"I don't give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I'm the President and the
Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case
that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's
just a goddamned piece of paper!"

--snip--

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml