Interesting People mailing list archives

more on This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:11:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: December 8, 2005 10:34:21 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on This worries me-- should I be djf Network Inoculation: Antivirus shield would outrace cyber infections

Dave,

These kind of theoretical approaches always scare me (and i like being theoretical). Look at the massive assumption inherent in the approach: They treat a virus as something scalable. they can detect it and prevent it in a deterministic manner. Just looking at the recent Sony rootkit fiasco it is clear that the process of detection repair and innoculation is not always a simple one. So the whole thing falls apart for a virus that you cant prepare a standardized innoculation 'kit' in 'x' time. Seems to be creating a massive security hole in the guise of fixing things, no?

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec