Interesting People mailing list archives

Democracy can only be created, not consumed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:04:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: August 8, 2005 9:04:00 PM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Subject: Democracy can only be created, not consumed

Dave,

For IP is you wish. A political comment on Martin's "Four Internet Freedoms".

Jock

Citizens are NOT consumers of Democracy. The FCC's last two chairmen have referred to we the people as being mere one dimensional consumers. For a recent example, see David Isenberg's comments on FCC Chairman Martin's new The Four Internet Freedoms.

The essential and fundamental objection to the Martin's suggestion that we are not citizens, but only mere consumers, is that it is totally anti-democratic and contrary to the spirit of the America's founding principles.

Democracy is a process of continuous creation by citizens practicing self government. It is not a product from a 3rd party to be consumed. Thus, to relegate citizens to the status of simple consumers, is to attack the very foundation of our experiment in democracy. Democracy can only be kept alive if we citizens are engaged daily in its production.

Snip.....

Continued at: <http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000390.html>

Jock Gill
The Power of Wireless
Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges
(781) 396-0492