Interesting People mailing list archives

Thoughts on CNN's 'Situation Room'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:17:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: August 8, 2005 8:16:53 PM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () g2-forward org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Thoughts on CNN's 'Situation Room'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/situation.room/

The Situation Room, anchored by Wolf Blitzer, assembles top CNN
correspondents, analysts, contributors and guests for complete, up- to-the minute coverage of the day's events. Modeled on the concept of the White House Situation Room, the program combines traditional reporting methods with the newest innovative online resources, making the entire process of newsgathering more transparent and placing the latest news and information at the viewers'
fingertips.

...I caught a few minutes of this new program this evening, and wasn't
overly impressed.  It presents CNN programming in a very Jerry
Bruckheimer-esque manner with lots of high-tech "action" (e.g., scrolling headlines, clocks everywhere, snazzy graphics) to convey the appearance of network news fusing into a viewer's living room in a manner that it suggests
is akin to how the President gets his information.

Case in point -- "we're monitoring a general aviation plane crash somewhere in California with these pictures coming from our affiliate -- but have no details yet, but we'll bring it to you as soon as we can..." With coverage like that, 'Situation Room' viewers certainly get to be the "first to know
but not really know" .... anything.   There was no value in that report
except for the network to possibly claim "you heard it here first."

Clearly, CNN is capitalizing on the perceived "high tech" nature of
information-sharing and intelligence that has become the centerpiece of
post-9/11 America. But rather than providing adequate context for stories,
'Situation Room' seems to do little more than overwhelm viewers with the
perception of being "in the know" and "connected in real time" without
actually providing much substance. As I wrote about the news industry in
2003's 'Weapons of Mass Delusion", this is nothing more than the latest
installment of what I called "NewsPorn."

Granted, it's only day one. Maybe things will improve for 'Situation Room'
as time goes on. On air, It looks neat, for sure -- but will it improve
newscasting for the better?  Only time will tell.

-rick
Infowarrior.org