Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Prices Fuel a Rebellion / Drivers Tired of Paying More for Premium Gasoline Switch to Regular

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 06:44:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Laurence Berland <laurenceb () gmail com>
Date: August 7, 2005 10:08:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Prices Fuel a Rebellion / Drivers Tired of Paying More for Premium Gasoline Switch to Regular

In addition, it's worth keeping in mind there are something like 2.3
billion people in China and India.  These countries are modernizing,
and their fuel demands are rising dramatically.  At a time when some
say our supply is at its peak, our demand is far from peaked, and will
likely be increasing rapidly.  America, as the world's largest
consumer of oil, surely has the most to lose, but this will affect
everyone.  I'm assuming prices will be going to the moon by the time
I'm my parent's age (I'm 23 now).  Would any of the older, wiser
people on this list (especially those with some influence) consider
building mass transit and a functioning rail system in this country?
The NYC transit system might be the best in the world, and it still
needs massive improvements (not to mention a restoration of civil
liberties...).  Or maybe we could mandate improved fuel economy?  I
find it hard to believe that we can't make real progress in this area,
especially if the big auto companies don't have a choice.  Instead of
being alarmist, why aren't people being productive and pragmatic?
Yeah, it's scary.  If you're afraid of the dark, though, you'd do much
better to build a flashlight than to simply cower in terror...