Interesting People mailing list archives

Google, journalism and being evil ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:40:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: August 5, 2005 11:13:31 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: i-p () umich edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Google, journalism and being evil ...

Dave,

Oh good grief, this conspiracy speculation is just plain silly.

-- The hits at the top of the Google hit list are from prominent sites that have a high PageRank: News.com, ZDnet, ABC News, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, etc.

-- MSN doesn't have PageRank. (That's why Google is winning.) The very first hit on MSN for the same allegedly suspect search is:

BayouBuzz.com - Louisiana Politics and News

This story has nothing to do with Lousiana Politics and News. Sometimes search ranking algorithms do odd things.

-- The repeated use of the word "charade" is from headlines used in stories from CNet and from the AP. It should be no surprise that news outlets lead with the most eye-catching claim of the combants. And if Google puts the headlines from prominent news outlets at the top of the list, you see the same words throughout the hit list. -- Anyone who has watched Google News carefully since its inception understands that the same wire story is poorly de-duped across multiple news outlets. This story is now old enough that the regular Google Web search has picked it up. PageRank takes it from there, delivering duplicated stories from the media outlets with the highest PageRank. -- For several reasons, "Dr. Lee court documents Google Microsoft" is not likely to yield the results the reporter sought. It is frankly a rather naive search for this breaking news. If the reporter seeks court documents, he should contact the court.

It is quite a remarkable thing for someone to assume that if a search engine doesn't yield the documents he expected based on the keywords he randomly chose, then therefore the engineers are engaged in a conspiracy theory.

/rich
Google: Microsoft Lawsuit Is a 'Charade'
Google Says That the Microsoft Lawsuit Is a 'Charade' Aimed at Scaring People By ELIZABETH M. GILLESPIE Associated Press Writer