Interesting People mailing list archives

Creative Gets Patent on Filing things in Categories?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:33:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Weisberger <jweisberger () mac com>
Date: August 31, 2005 12:29:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Creative Gets Patent on Filing things in Categories?

It is my honest belief that the idea of filing things into categories can be tracked as far back as ancient Sumeria. I certainly recall reading about inventories and other lists cataloging possessions and trade goods in many, many ancient cultures.

How can it be that the US Patent office feels that a digital indexing system for music is substantially different from any other indexing system, be it for bronze widgitum (the precursor of todays widget) or the evil MP3s that are tearing our culture apart by allowing us to download music?

I'm confused as to what is so unique here as to merit a patent? The look of the interface seems silly to patent, they did what they could with a cheap LCD screen, this is why they look similar - is using cheap LCD screens some how intellectual property?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/12521575.htm