Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NZ VoIP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:07:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 30, 2005 8:28:50 PM EDT
To: gav () rediguana co nz
Cc: dave () farber net, lauren () vortex com
Subject: NZ VoIP

I assume that it will occur over DSL as that
is the only broadband we have capable of reaching a large percentage
of the population.

Seems to me that "large percentage" isn't good enough.  If the entire
system is going to be converted (though the number of lines involved
is relatively small in the scheme of things), it has to be 100%
coverage one way or another.  Then there are all the related issues
of phone backup power supplies, getting recharge power to those
supplies, maintaining the batteries, and lots more.  All *sorts* of
interesting issues come into play when you convert everyone's lines
to VoIP, since they have to be emergency capable.  I wonder if those
quoted dates turn out to be about as real as our analog TV cut off
dates here in the U.S. have been?

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com