Interesting People mailing list archives

AP Poll: only 1/3rd of Americans care about deficit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 03:00:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
Date: August 27, 2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: AP Poll: only 1/3rd of Americans care about deficit

The top line is scary enough, but the full article will scare the wits out of one...
-p

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wire/ats- ap_top14aug27,0,5953759.story
Experts Warn Debt May Threaten Economy
By ROBERT TANNER
AP National Writer

1:02 PM PDT, August 27, 2005

You owe $145,000. And the bill is rising every day. That's how much it would cost every American man, woman and child to pay the tab for the long-term promises the U.S. government has made to creditors, retirees, veterans and the poor.

And it's not even taking into account credit card bills, mortgages -- all the debt we've racked up personally. Savings? The average American puts away barely $1 of every $100 earned.

Our profligate ways at home are mirrored in Washington and in the global marketplace, where as a society America spends $1.9 billion more a day on imported clothes and cars and gadgets than the entire rest of the world spends on its goods and services.

A new Associated Press/Ipsos poll finds that barely a third of Americans would cut spending to reduce the federal deficit and even fewer would raise taxes.
(snip)