Interesting People mailing list archives

Pat Robertson's Call For Assassination Of A Foreign Leader A Crime

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:32:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter H Salus <peter () netpedant com>
Date: August 27, 2005 12:38:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: for IP?

Dave,

Take a look at
    //writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20050826.html

I think this deserves wider publicity.

Peter

        Peter H. Salus, Ph.D.
        55 Charles St. W., #1702
        Toronto, ON M5S 2W9
              CANADA
    peter () netpedant com         +1 416 944-0515

Was Pat Robertson's Call For Assassination Of A Foreign Leader A Crime?
Had He Been a Democrat, He'd Probably Be Hiring A Criminal Attorney
By JOHN W. DEAN
----
Friday, Aug. 26, 2005
On Monday, August 22, the Chairman of the Christian Broadcast Network, Marion "Pat" Robertson, proclaimed, on his 700 Club television show, that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez should be murdered.

More specifically, Robertson said, "You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination," referring to the American policy since the Presidency of Gerald Ford against assassination of foreign leaders, "but if he [Chavez] thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

"We have the ability to take him out," Robertson continued, "and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."