Interesting People mailing list archives

more on the film .. more on Video of SWAT raid on legal Utah rave

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:54:09 -0400

remember Kent State

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Pistritto <jcp () jcphome com>
Date: August 27, 2005 12:29:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Sean.Glynn () Level3 com, rossmj () hotmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] the film .. more on Video of SWAT raid on legal Utah rave

Just from the way the people conducting the raid are *dressed* they appear to be military and not police. (for instance, no large letters on their uniforms, camo not black uniforms etc.) They also have field equipment you wouldnt expect a cop to be carrying around. Also notice they have regular combat helmets and *no* face shields. Which is more military than police. There looked to be one large truck in the area too which looked military. They dont appear to have M-16s with them, but that would be standard in a crowd control operation, one wouldnt want a loaded weapon to get taken away by someone in the crowd and the guys moving into a crowd would want their hands free, not holding a weapon. Troops out of the field of view on the perimeter of the crowd might have been armed differently in that situation.

Now they might well be a National Guard unit which uses similar equipment to the regular Army for instance. I'd think it'd be *really a lot of work* for a local police force to get authorization for a regular Army unit to attend one of their raids (especially if it wasn't Border Patrol or someone like that asking. Plus the guys doing the raid didnt seem quite disciplined enough to be a regular Army formation). Army units don't "go along" with other agencies generally, they control the op themselves. (and it being *inside* the US is a big big problem that anyone in the chain of command would know about. They teach officers about that sort of thing.)

Its possible a local police force would 'borrow' some national guard troops for a large operation (the original person mentions several thousand people being there, I can imagine a local police force not having anywhere near enough officers available and asking the state government to loan them some Nat. Guard troops for the evening.) Nothing shown is out of reach of a national guard unit. If that's true, the state government would know about it and have approved it (probably through the governor's office). Your correspondent should follow up that angle and find out how often the National Guard gets used for stuff like this in that state. It'd be pretty unusual in California, but states differ a lot. They dont roll the NatGuard here until something big is burning up (like Los Angeles). Happens, but rarely.

This commentary is completely aside of the issue of whether it was legal to raid this location or not. I'd think a police department requesting aid from the State Government would have to have *some* reasonable justification though. (You'd think, anyway, even in Utah.)

Best regards,
  -jcp-

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>