Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Open letter from CDT on broadcast flag

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:53:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () well com>
Date: August 26, 2005 10:08:06 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: mnemonic () well com
Subject: Re: [IP] Open letter from CDT on broadcast flag

Dear Dave,

I think CDT deserves credit for owning up to the fact that its recent paper on the broadcast flag gives some false impressions, both about CDT's position, and about what makes the broadcast-flag scheme problematic.

Even so, I think it is helpful to elaborate on four substantive points where many of us who opposed the flag scheme, and who successfully challenged it in court, think the CDT paper went wrong.

First, the CDT paper flatly accepts the studios' statement of the problem (that digital TV is more piratable than other kinds of TV). This statement of the problem is technologically bankrupt -- analog- originating television is at least as piratable on the Internet as digitally originating TV is, and arguably more so, since analog-to- digital conversions are trivial, and since analog-originating TV digitizes to much smaller file sizes than digital-TV native formats. (HDTV must be hugely reduced in resolution -- and therefore visual quality -- in order to be as easily distributed over the Internet. )

Second, the CDT paper assumes that if DTV piracy is a problem, then the broadcast-flag scheme is the only possible solution. This too is insupportable from a technological standpoint. Broadcasting your signal in the clear and then "protecting" it by hobbling receivers, computers, and other devices is an inherently brain-damaged proposition. Any technologist not in the pay of a movie studio knows this.

Third, while I respect CDT's desire that a broadcast-flag regime be imposed, if at all, in a narrow and precise way, I must note that, once you actually understand how the flag scheme works, you realize that it can only work, if at all, if it is imposed broadly -- one might more properly say "universally" -- and that entails huge government oversight over everything, forever. Impose it narrowly, and it will be so ineffective that you might as well skip it altogether.

Fourth, the CDT paper "papers over" other objections to the flag scheme based on copyright policy. For example, while forbidding the flagging of public domain and public affairs content is critical, it does not go far enough. Flagging also should not be permitted for programming specifically designed to serve the educational and informational needs of children. Moreover, effective distance education requires the ability to retransmit not only segments of news broadcasts, but also of other programs with cultural significance. (It was the impact of the flag on distance education activities of libraries that provided petitioners with standing in the DC Circuit.) Thus, government bodies and educational institutions must be able to purchase and use demodulators that do not respond to the flag, and manufacturers must be able to make such devices for such institutions.

Those of us who have worked with CDT over the long term (I myself worked for CDT for years) have no doubt that the flaws in CDT's most recent paper on the broadcast flag scheme are, as Dave McGuire hints, primarily the result of the rush to get something useful in front of Congress, should Congress decide to act quickly on the proposal. Nevertheless, we hope very much that CDT revises its paper not just to ensure greater clarity, but also to correct the substantive issues I outline above.

Furthermore, we think that Congress also should be urged to deal with the broadcast-flag scheme, if at all, in a separate, freestanding bill, rather than as a broadly worded amendment/addition to some other bill, such as budget legislation. History teaches us that if Congress attempts to add to a budget bill something like FCC authorization to implement a broadcast-flag proposal, it will inevitably be broadly and vaguely worded, and the result will be antithetical to the kind of narrow and precise legislation CDT says it would prefer.

Sincerely, and with respect to our friends at CDT,

Mike Godwin
Legal Director
Public Knowledge

--