Interesting People mailing list archives

Why have we allowed the carriers to take 99% of their assets off the books

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:23:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 15, 2005 5:42:51 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Why have we allowed the carriers to take 99% of their assets off the books

By pretending video bits are different than Internet bits the carriers have effectively taken 99% of their assets off the books! It’s a neat trick but we shouldn’t tolerate it. It seems silly to be arguing about whether the will block VoIP packets on the remaining 1% when 99% is already gone!

It’s one thing to accept that legacy Cable TV infrastructure is difficult to repurpose (even though they are proving that it is not that hard) but it’s another to watch new fiber being deployed with designs that keep the video bits off the books.

I’ve posted a short set of comments as http://www.frankston.com/? name=SATNOnePercent and a longer post as http://www.frankston.com/? name=OnePercent which goes into more detail about how and why this has happened. I also mention Ivan Seidenberg’s promise to play fair when he spoke at the Massachusetts Software Council. Playing fair with 1% of the capacity isn’t the same thing as playing fair.

Bob Frankston

http://www.frankston.com