Interesting People mailing list archives

Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:00:07 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: "Randall"<rvh40 () insightbb com>
Sent: 8/2/05 5:28:53 PM
To: "Dave"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

http://tinyurl.com/amdsp

Bush backs teaching intelligent design

By Ron Hutcheson
Inquirer Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - President Bush waded into the debate over evolution and
intelligent design yesterday, saying schools should teach both theories
on the creation and complexity of life.

In a wide-ranging question-and-answer session with a small group of
reporters, Bush essentially endorsed efforts by Christian conservatives
to give intelligent design equal standing with the theory of evolution
in the nation's schools.

Bush declined to state his personal views on intelligent design, the
belief that life-forms are so complex that their creation cannot be
explained by Darwinian evolutionary theory alone, but rather points to
intentional creation, presumably divine.

The theory of evolution, as articulated by British naturalist Charles
Darwin in 1859, is based on the idea that life organisms developed over
time through random mutations and factors in nature that favored certain
traits that helped species survive.

Scientists concede that evolution does not answer every question about
the creation of life, but most consider intelligent design an attempt to
inject religion into science courses.

Bush compared the current debate to earlier disputes over creationism, a
related view that adheres more closely to biblical explanations. As
governor of Texas, Bush said students should be exposed to both
creationism and evolution.

Yesterday, the President said he favored the same approach for
intelligent design, "so people can understand what the debate is about."

The Kansas Board of Education is considering changes to encourage the
teaching of intelligent design in Kansas schools, and Christian
conservatives are pushing for similar changes in other school districts
across the country.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools
of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to
be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The National Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the
Advancement of Science have both concluded that there is no scientific
basis for intelligent design and oppose its inclusion in school science
classes.

"The claim that equity demands balanced treatment of evolutionary theory
and special creation in science classrooms reflects a misunderstanding
of what science is and how it is conducted," the academy said in a 1999
assessment. "Creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of
supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are not
science because they are not testable by the methods of science."

Some scientists have declined to join the debate, fearing that
amplifying the discussion only gives intelligent design more legitimacy.

But advocates of intelligent design also claim support from scientists.
The Discovery Institute, a conservative think tank in Seattle that is
the leading proponent for intelligent design, said it had compiled a
list of more than 400 scientists, including 70 biologists, who are
skeptical about evolution.

"The fact is that a significant number of scientists are extremely
skeptical that Darwinian evolution can explain the origins of life,"
John West, associate director of the organization's Center for Science
and Culture, said in a prepared statement.

Bush did not seem eager to talk about the topic.

He was more than ready for questions about his Supreme Court nominee,
John G. Roberts Jr. Bush said he deliberately avoided discussing Roe v.
Wade, the 1973 ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, with Roberts
before selecting him for a spot on the nation's highest court.

Bush said he was concerned that if Roberts expressed an opinion, he
would have to withdraw from any case challenging the landmark decision.

"I said there is no litmus test, and I meant it," he said.

Bush, who leaves today for a monthlong stay at his Texas ranch, took
questions from five Texas reporters at a conference table in the
Roosevelt Room, just off the Oval Office. Looking relaxed and upbeat, he
sipped on cola and chewed ice as he answered, deflected or bantered his
way through questions on a host of topics.

He became most animated when pressed to say whether he personally would
like to see Roe v. Wade overturned. Bush opposes abortion, except in
cases of rape, incest or to save the mother's life, but he acknowledges
that most Americans do not share his views.

"I'm not going to be involved with the Roe v. Wade case in the midst of
a judicial nomination," Bush said. "John Roberts is going to be put on
the Supreme Court, hopefully, in an expeditious manner, and he will
answer the questions put to him. It is clear that if he were to answer
those questions, he would have to recuse himself from future cases."

Bush also declined to say much about the investigation into the leak of
a CIA officer's identity. A federal grand jury is trying to determine
whether presidential aide Karl Rove or anyone else in the White House
deliberately exposed Valerie Plame's identity to retaliate against her
husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, an outspoken Bush critic.

"Karl's got my complete confidence," Bush said. "He's a valuable member
of my team. Why don't you wait and see what the true facts are?"

Contact reporter Ron Hutcheson at 202-383-6101 or
rhutcheson () krwashington com.
--
"We've got the hatemongers who literally hate this president, and that
is so wrong. . . . The people who hate George Bush hate him because he's