Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Google Print" and Ethics

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:14:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: August 13, 2005 4:32:02 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "Google Print" and Ethics

With regard to Google's mining of books in libraries - I am sure that the publishers will protect their interests.

But to change the subject slightly - I've become concerned with how search engine companies are making a buck off of web-based works without letting the authors share in the wealth.

I've looked at my web logs and noticed the intense degree to which search engine companies dredge through my writings - which are explicitly marked as copyrighted and published subject to a clearly articulated license.

The search engine companies take my works and from those they create derivative works.

The search engine companies don't ask my permission. Rather they presume that they have the right to create these derivative works unless I create an explicit denial via a robots.txt file.

The search engine companies generate revenue by making use of the derivative works they have created from my original works. I, as the author and copyright owner of the underlying work, am not given any share of that revenue stream.

Yes, I gain visibility because the search engines create means to find my writings.

Perhaps that would be a reasonable bargain to make - if the opportunity to make such a bargain were actually presented.

But the search engine companies take the position that that bargain exists unless the copyright owner of the original work goes through the effort to say "no". That is an inversion of the normal state of affairs.

I am increasingly coming to the opinion that some portion of the revenues received by search engine companies should flow to the creators and copyright holders of the original works that are indexed via the derivative works made by the search engines.

How might such a mechanism work? I haven't really thought much about that. But we know that such systems are possible and exist in the real world. For example we consumers are already being subject to actual or threatened fees on blank media and devices that might be used to make copies of works. And the music industry has intricate systems to move money from broadcasters to those who created the works in the first place (or to their successors.)

Perhaps those of us who write original internet-based materials (e.g. blogs, articles, emails) ought to take a page from UCITA-type shrink- wrap thinking and have the license on our materials impose an obligation to pay something like 20% of the gross revenues arising out of their use of any derivatives they make from our works.

        --karl--