Interesting People mailing list archives

more on skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:49:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephan Somogyi <ip045 () st gyroscope net>
Date: August 12, 2005 4:27:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] skype

What reason do we have to trust Skype's end-to-end encryption today?

Skype hasn't shown any inclination to describe either its protocol or crypto implementation, much less release source code. Simson Garfinkel's paper showed that Skype traffic is obscured, but his findings give us no way to objectively assess actual security provided. For all we know, Skype's use of crypto is as secure as ROT13.

It bothers me how readily we forget WEP: An IEEE standards committee concocted a system -- using fully buzzword-compliant crypto -- that resulted in a standard that proved ineffective even against lackadaisical attack.

If Skype cared about proving to its customers that its system was secure, it would already have done so. Instead, it continues to practice security through obscurity.

A false sense of security is worse than knowingly not having any. Just because Skype says it offers encryption doesn't mean it provides any real security at all.

s.