Interesting People mailing list archives

more on I am glad he is not worried djf Chertoff: Privacy fears not justified

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:32:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bradley Malin <malin () cs cmu edu>
Date: August 11, 2005 4:25:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, EEkid () aol com
Subject: Re: [IP] I am glad he is not worried djf Chertoff: Privacy fears not justified

Personally, I find it distressing that Chertoff relates the notion of "the general American" and loyalty cards to the submission of personal information to the federal government for homeland security and other types of surveillance/security (word usage depends on whichever side of the coin is facing up after the toss) monitoring.

The "average" American is for the most part unaware of how their information, collected under loyalty programs, is used by the data collecting organizations. Now, I don't believe that most people would pull out of loyalty programs if they were made completey aware of all the ways in which their information is, or could be, used. But I am inclined to believe that a non-trivial number of people would use more caution if they knew that their information could be subpoenaed, or legally seized via a warrent, and possibly used against them (possibly without their knowledge).

And in today's society, people are starting to turn back from their knee-jerk 9/11 reaction of "give the government whatever they need and whenever they need it". The American public is much more suspicious of how the government collects and uses personal information than organizations and their loyalty programs. We saw this with the crash and burn of the proposed data mining (a.k.a. exploratory data fusion and analysis) investigations of the TIA program and I'm sure we'll it again.

Maybe Chertoff would be willing to draft a Privacy Rule for the collection, dissemination, and use of personal data that has been sequestered by homeland security agencies?

-brad